“We’re helping families navigate the bureaucracy so they can fulfill their dreams of being United States citizens,” Green said. “It’s exciting to the people who are taking this huge step toward becoming Americans, and it’s an honor to be involved,” he added.
This will be the 13th annual Citizenship Day sponsored by Green, who said that in previous years demand has far exceeded the capacity of volunteers to help everyone. This year, Green hopes to help over 300 people complete and send their paperwork.
The Citizenship Day event will offer legal residents of the United States the opportunity to complete all the steps necessary to apply for citizenship in one stop. The applications will be reviewed by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) officials for accuracy, and required photos will be supplied. Finally, the United States Postal Service will accept the completed applications and send them via certified mail to the USCIS. Though the Citizenship Day services are free, applicants must still pay the usual application, fingerprint and postage fees.
1. You must be at least 18 years of age.
2. You must have been a legal resident of the U.S. for at least 5 years.
3. Or, if you are married to a U.S. citizen, you must have been a legal resident here for at least 3 years.
ITEMS THAT YOU MUST BRING WITH YOU
1. Your permanent resident card
2. A list of the dates when you have left the country and returned since you became a permanent resident.
3. Information on when and where you have lived and worked for the past 5 years.
4. Information regarding your children and spouse, including birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees.
5. A money order or cashier’s check for $400 for the application and fingerprint fees, payable to USCIS.
The citizenship exam will not be offered at this event nor will swearing-in ceremonies be conducted. The application you complete at the workshop is the first step of the citizenship process. The USCIS will take approximately six months to process it in most cases. If you have any questions regarding Citizenship Day please call (281) 847-1247.