Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Congressman Gene Green

Representing the 29th District of Texas

Agency Help

One of my most important duties as your representative in Congress is to assist you when you are having difficulties with federal agencies – this assistance is referred to as "casework."  More information on casework assistance, frequently asked questions, and how to begin casework with my office can be found below. 

Eligibility: Am I eligible for casework assistance?

  • Are you a resident of the 29th District of Texas?  You can check by entering your zip code.
  • Does your case involve a federal agency? provides a list of federal agencies in English and Spanish.
  • Does this case primarily involve you or your dependent?  Privacy laws can limit your ability to represent another individual or group.

Assistance: What types of assistance can I expect?

My office is here to assist constituents with problems involving a federal agency. We can make inquiries as to the status of your case, obtain additional information, or direct you to the appropriate resources or services.  My role is to assure you a fair and thorough review of your case and to seek a timely response from a federal agency.

Unfortunately, I cannot help you if your problem is with a state or local agency, or if it is a judicial or civil matter before the courts. While I will make my best efforts to assist you, please remember that federal agencies have discretion concerning decisions on individual cases and have the final say on the outcome.

Examples of Assistance

  • Social Security & Medicare Benefits: These include issues that affect federal programs for seniors, questions on Social Security Benefits, as well as problems receiving checks and coverage under Social Security Disability.
  • Veterans’ Benefits & Military Services Issues: These include addressing concerns from veterans and their family members on issues ranging from VA healthcare benefits, records of service and medals earned along with replacing misplaced medals.
  • Immigration, Naturalization, and Citizenship issues: These include providing both information and assisting in securing answers for constituents with concerns in these areas.

How to Open a Case

  1. Determine your eligibility for opening casework with our office and whether we can assist with your question or situation.
  2. Read this list of Frequently Asked Questions for quick answers to the most common questions we receive.
  3. Prepare to open a case with my office by completing the Casework Authorization Form.
  4. Print the form and mail, fax or drop it off with all of your supporting documentation to our office.

If you have any questions, please contact either of my local offices at 281-999-5879 or 713-330-0761.


Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to submit my request for assistance in writing?
By law, I am required to have a written request before any action can be taken on your behalf. A written request also gives me a clear understanding of the difficulty that you are having interacting with the federal agency involved and the resolution you are seeking. return to top

Can you give me legal advice?
My office is not able to offer legal advice or recommend an attorney. The rules of the House do not allow me to intervene in, or influence the outcome of, cases that are under the jurisdiction of any court.

My fiancee’s application with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has gone beyond the normal length of processing time. Can you expedite her application?
As much as I would like to assist in this matter, I am limited in what I can do because USCIS petitions are adjudicated in date receipt order. The criteria needed for consideration of expedite processing can be found at All expedite requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and are granted at the discretion of the Director of USCIS.

How will you resolve the problem I am experiencing with a federal agency?
Although I cannot guarantee a particular outcome, I want you to know that my staff and I will do our best to help you receive a fair and timely response. My staff and I are able to facilitate the processes involved, gain a fair hearing for your case, and sometimes advocate for a favorable outcome.

Why is a signed Privacy Act Release form necessary?
Due to the provisions of the Privacy Act of 1974, all federal government agencies and departments are strictly prohibited from releasing information about anyone without that individual’s written permission. This protection of a person’s right to privacy means that I can do nothing to help until I have written authorization from the individual directly affected. Once we have the release, we can begin to work on your case.

How will I know that my problem has been resolved?
When an official response is received from the federal agency involved, my office will notify you. Please feel free to contact my office for an update on the progress of your request for assistance.

My brother lives in another state and is having a problem receiving Social Security benefits. Can you help him?
It is a long standing tradition of congressional courtesy in the United States Senate that each Member of Congress be given the opportunity to serve his or her own constituents. Accordingly, your brother’s request for assistance should be referred to the Member of Congress or U.S. Senator of the state he resides in.